Whether you're heading in tonight for a re-do of 19.5, or you're hitting the WOD for the first time. Here are 5 tips to help you recover and get back on your feet for your training this week:
1. COOL DOWN. We recommend that you hop on a bike for 10-15 minutes after completing 19.5 and do some light foam rolling before you head home. You're going to be sore regardless, but this will help with the onset of DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness). .
2. PROTEIN-. Have a shake or a high-protein snack/meal withing 30-40 mins of your WOD. This is vital in helping to repair your muscles. #DemQuads
3. HYDRATE. Drink plenty of fluids and water once you have finished 19.5 to help replenish the fluids lost. An electrolyte beverage might not be a bad idea as well, but you can never go wrong with some "high quality H20". .
4. CONTRAST SHOWER. Not all of us have access to a hot tub, ice bath or a Cyrotherapy Tank. However, a simple, every day shower will suffice. Contrast therapy helps to dilate and then constrict the vascular system.The contrast creates a pump effect that flushes your body of lactic acid and other toxins that build up during exercise. Follow these simple steps: - 4-6 cycles of alternating between 1-2 mins of HOT water, 1-2 mins of COLD water. (Target the water or shower head directly towards your legs).
5. BONUS, if you want to really get a jump start on your recovery take advantage of our awesome services offered through Windsor CrossFit partnerships: Deb (Massage Therapist), John (Fascial Stretch Therapist) or Dean (Box Chiropractor)!
Family Chiropractic Wellness Centre