Palais de justice de Paris
“Palace of Justice”
｜Joseph-Louis Duc + Honoré Daumet
The building was reconstructed between 1857 and 1868 by architects Joseph-Louis Duc and Honoré Daumet. The exterior includes sculptural work by Jean-Marie Bonnassieux.
Among the oldest surviving buildings of the Palais de la Cité are the Sainte Chapelle (built c. 1240, during the reign of Louis IX) and the Conciergerie, a former prison, now a museum, where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned before being executed on the guillotine. The justice of the state has been dispensed at this site since medieval times. From the sixteenth century to the French Revolution this was the seat of the Parlement de Paris.